Tuesday, January 4, 2022

First Book Review of 2022: Wizard’s First Rule

 


Wizard's First Rule by Terry Goodkind 🎧

⭐️⭐️2/5 Star Rating

I hate to kick the year off with a negative review, but there were just so many things I found wrong with this book! The writing was mediocre with too much repetition and dialogue that often fell flat. This was an audiobook listen for me so I initially wondered if the narrator was causing my concern with dialogue, but the verbal exchanges between characters seemed more and more ridiculous as time wore on. I felt that the world building was sufficiently done, but the author failed to make me care one iota about any of the main characters.  I wanted to LOVE this book after being told by more than one person to check out the Sword of Truth series, but I didn’t even like it.  There was nothing truly original about the storyline and it could have benefited from a serious editing pen to tidy up the amateurish writing and cut some completely useless chunks of the plot that went on for seemingly endless chapters in the last quarter of the book. 

πŸ§™πŸ»‍♂️•πŸ‰•πŸ°

Mages, dragons, and fantastical realms generally tickle my fancy, but the first book in this SEVENTEEN volume series was unfortunately not enough to pique my interest. If you are made of stronger stuff, maybe you’ll be able to soldier on through the next few books to see if the author redeems himself, delivering an overall enjoyable fantasy book series.  

I’m not that girl. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: House of Earth and Blood

House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas 🎧 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4/5 Star Rating The Summary: Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day a...