Wednesday, March 2, 2022

Book Review: The Great Gatsby

 


The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald 🎧

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️4/5 Star Rating

The Summary:

The Great Gatsby, F. Scott Fitzgerald's third book, stands as the supreme achievement of his career. This exemplary novel of the Jazz Age has been acclaimed by generations of readers. The story is of the fabulously wealthy Jay Gatsby and his new love for the beautiful Daisy Buchanan, of lavish parties on Long Island at a time when The New York Times noted "gin was the national drink and sex the national obsession," it is an exquisitely crafted tale of America in the 1920s.

The Great Gatsby is one of the great classics of twentieth-century literature.

💜

Well, there's a reason why this book is widely known as a literary classic. As hard as it is to believe, I've managed to exist for 43 years without ever having read this book. I've never even seen the movie - unfathomable, but true - despite the lure of Leo Dicaprio & Toby McGuire. So, you can imagine my surprise when I discovered there was more to The Great Gatsby than tales of a rich playboy who throws good parties. Seriously, that's what I thought it was about.

🤦🏻‍♀️🤷🏻‍♀️

I love a book with twists and this one surely delivers on that front. I also love a story that challenges me to have a little sessiom of self examination. After I finished reading this one, I began questioning my own priorities and how I measure success.  Gatsby was a tragic figure despite his ability to project himself as the definition of the most popular and intriguing man in any room.  It was a reminder that we never know what another person may be struggling with, even if they seem to be living their best life. Give this one a read if you enjoy a story with unexpected depth. I quite liked it.






No comments:

Post a Comment

Book Review: House of Earth and Blood

House of Earth and Blood by Sarah J Maas 🎧 ⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️ 4/5 Star Rating The Summary: Bryce Quinlan had the perfect life—working hard all day a...